Skip to content


Comfortable, safe housing

Love where you live.

Where you stay during your studies plays a big role in creating a positive educational experience. This is even more true if you are living and studying away from home for the first time. Canning College makes sure you are comfortably and safely housed so you can focus on your studies.

(Pictured: St Catherine’s Curtin accommodation)

Additional support

An Accommodation Officer is available through Student Services to provide extra support when searching for suitable accommodation. This includes:

  • providing information on a variety of types and prices of accommodation
  • advising on all aspects of accommodation in Perth
  • liaising with Australian Homestay Network as required

Accommodation Requirements for Students Under 18 Years of Age

The Department of Home Affairs requires students who are under the age of 18 years to have appropriate arrangements made for their welfare in Australia. Details are available on the Department of Home Affair website. 

Canning College works with Australian Homestay Network (AHN) to arrange homestay placements. Homestay provides students with a secure and family-like environment. Students are encouraged to join in with the family as it provides an excellent opportunity to practise English and learn about the Australian way of life. More information is available on the AHN website.

Students can also stay with a direct family relative. This must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs using a 157N form

On-Campus Accommodation

Canning College students over the age of 18 have access to the same on-campus accommodation options as Curtin University students. All accommodation is furnished and includes on-site management. Most on-campus accommodation is made up of single rooms or six/eight bedroom self-contained units. 



Homestay accommodation provides students with a secure, family environment through a Host Family. Students under the age of 18 at WA Government education institutions are required to use the homestay services provided by the Australian Homestay Network (AHN). Homestay accommodation is located within 1 hour travel time from Canning College. Travel may include taking a bus or train, or a combination of both. Host families provide meals, access to the internet and a place to study, and assist with everyday needs such as laundry and cleaning. Students are encouraged to join the family in their routine where appropriate (for example, at mealtimes) to improve English skills.


Comfortable on-campus accommodation at Vickery House is available to students over the age of 18. UniLodge at Curtin University – Vickery House offers various single-storey six and eight bedroom fully furnished units. Each unit has a communal kitchen, two bathrooms, lounge area and dining table. Each bedroom has a single bed, wardrobe and study desk. The units are walking distance to classrooms, the library, shops, and transport. When it’s time to unwind, students can visit the music room, enjoy pool or table tennis, and relax in the common lounge area.


New in 2022, St Catherine’s is located at Curtin University. It is just a short walk from Canning College and is available to students 18 years and over. St Catherine’s offers standard and premium single and studio rooms with many extras. Fees include Wi-Fi, health and wellbeing service, social events and three meals each day in the College Dining Hall. Rooms are professionally cleaned each week. Bathroom, laundry and kitchenette facilities are provided. Student’s room choice will determine whether the bathroom and kitchen facilities are shared or private.



Students over 18 years of age seeking independent living arrangements can rent accommodation. Most students choose to share with others. The Accommodation Officer can provide help with rental properties, of which there are many within walking distance of the College.


If you have a willing family member close to Canning College, you can also stay with them. This must be a direct relative over the age of 21. If you’d like to stay with a family member, the arrangement must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs

Extra care for under 18s.

Canning College takes particular care to ensure students under the age of 18 years have appropriate arrangements made for their welfare and accommodation, as required by the Australian Department of Home Affairs. This includes the Principal assuming the role of guardian of all under 18 students who are not living with a relative.

All accommodation arrangements must be approved by the College and parents of students, prior to arrival. Any change to accommodation arrangements must be negotiated with Canning College and be made with the approval of the student’s parents.